2. Which chapters have these photographs at their beginning?
- Men saluting coffins draped with American flags.
- Soldier cradling fellow wounded soldier in his arms. (Close up)
- Bare-chested soldier with bullet around his neck.
3. In which American city is the Vietnam Memorial Wall to be found?
4. Give 3/4 reasons as to why writing and receiving letters was so important to the American soldiers.
5. Write down some of the reasons you know the men expressed in their letters for fighting in Vietnam. (Why were they there?)
6. What factors made the Viet Cong such a difficult enemy to fight?
7. The American soldiers were fighting in an 'alien landscape'. What was the fighting landscape like and what were some of the difficult conditions and things the soldiers had to deal with?
8. Write the names of three men who wrote multiple letters in the text.
9. The men who wrote the letters were the authors of the text? What was his role?
10. Look, cover then write these words - soldiers, Saigon, Hanoi, communism, guerilla (warfare), democracy (democratic), patriotic, scared, scarred, unbearable. Did you misspell any? Work to learn them.